ABOUT US

We are a family-owned, biodynamic and organic ranch, farm, and rustic retreat center.

Pu'u O Hoku Ranch is a family-owned biodynamic and organic ranch and farm, rustic retreat center, and sublime getaway on the remote and tranquil east end of Molokai, Hawaii. “Pu'u O Hoku” is true to its Hawaiian name — which means “Hill of Stars”— surrounded by more than 14,000 acres of protected land, immersed in the transcendent beauty of forest, sky and ocean.

Our most important work at Pu’u O Hoku is to restore the ‘aina (land in Hawaiian) of our beautiful ranch, from its green pastures that run up from coastal fishponds to Halawa Valley and the sea cliffs that tower above it. We are working on the reforestation of the ahupua’a (or watershed) and reducing the number of deer and pigs in our forest, as well as the sustainable cultivation of our arable lands in order to realize a bountiful land economy. We believe that Pu’u O Hoku, by preserving the fertile east end of Molokai, has a special role to play in bringing the island closer to a food and energy self-sufficient community that can provide for generations to come.


Our History
1.7 Million Years Ago
The priest Lanikaula founds a school of sacred arts in the kukui tree grove on the east end of Molokai.
 
 
C. 1300 AD
Hawaiians settle in Halawa Valley, on Molokai’s east end and part of what is now Puu O Hoku.
C. 1500's
 
The priest Lanikaula founds a school of sacred arts in the kukui tree grove on the east end of Molokai.
C. 1700's
Halawa Valley has become a major agricultural, trading, and fishing center, with a population in the thousands.
1778
Captain Cook sights the kamani grove in Halawa Valley.
 
 
1848
As part of the Hawaiian monarchy’s land-redistribution, known as the Great Mahele, Princess Victoria Kamamelu, granddaughter of King Kamehameha I, is given Halawa Valley.
1931
Sarah E. Brown becomes the first owner of Pu’u O Hoku Ranch, farming 4,000 acres of pineapple and cattle.
 
 
1933
Paul Fagan purchases 8,000 acres from Sarah Brown and builds the Pu’u O Hoku lodge, an example of the golden age of Hawaii architecture in the distinctive style of noted architect C.W. Dickey
1935
Paul Fagan purchases 9,000 acres (including Halawa valley) from the Bishop Estate. Fagan proposes that Hawaiians return to Halawa to live in the old way.
 
 
1940
The Ward sisters purchase Pu’u O Hoku Ranch.
1946
A tsunami hits Halawa valley, wiping out the homes and taro fields of the families that lived there — but amazingly, no people lost their lives.
 
 
1955
George Murphy purchases Pu’u O Hoku Ranch for pure
1985
Lavinia Currier visits Molokai on a mission with the Nature Conservancy to purchase and protect Mo’omomi Dunes. She also visits Pu’u O Hoku, and given the owner’s plan to sell the ranch to Japanese golf course developers, recommends that the Nature Conservancy buy it along with the dunes. However, Nature Conservancy at the time was focused on buying smaller land parcels with high numbers of endemic species, and so declines to purchase Pu’u O Hoku.
 
 
1987
Lavinia Purchases Pu’u O Hoku Ranch.
2001
Pu’u O Hoku and the State of Hawaii reach a “Safe Harbor” agreement to reintroduce Hawaii’s state bird, the endangered Nene Goose, and release the first X pairs of geese on a point amid the ranch’s pasture lands. It is the first such private-public partnership in the state. La’au Apa Lau group begin replanting and expansion of Lanikaula’s kukui nut grove. First planting of 13 varieties of ‘awa over three acres — pioneering organic and biodynamic ‘awa production in the islands.
 
 
2007
Pu’u O Hoku diversifies its agricultural products to include ‘awa, dried bananas, and honey.
2013
Leland Miyano redesigns Pu’u O Hoku lodge landscapes using native plants.
 

Image

Contact Us