Volunteer & Job Opportunities
Our central business is a Retreat Center, supported by a biodynamic Farm and Orchard and renewable energy sources. Other businesses on the ranch include: Grass-fed Cattle operation, Axis Deer Hunting operation, Native Plant Nursery for landscape restoration, and Honey/Queen Bee business.
This position is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Renewable Energy plant as well as the maintenance of the houses and other buildings on the property. He or She will work directly with the Ranch Manager, the owner and the community. The ability to lead a team, strong communication skills and experience in Systems Management is required.
Accomplish project objectives by planning and evaluating project activities, managing a team working on the projects, coordinating outside contractors as well as doing hands-on work.
Report directly to the Ranch Manager in the following areas:
- Renewable Energy – Take primary responsibility for the completion of the PV array power feeds to stand-alone grid components, wind generator and tower construction, micro hydro system installation, etc. while working in cooperation with the Ranch Manager and the outgoing renewable energy manager.
- General Construction – Manage, oversee or complete general projects such as construction or renovation of dwellings and other buildings.
- System Management – Monitor and maintain various existing and future systems such as photovoltaic and wind generators, micro hydro turbines, plumbing, electric, and potable water infrastructure including deep well pump and chlorine injector.
- Planning and Coordination – Plan, budget, launch, supervise, and personally work on already-scheduled and future projects in all the above areas.
- With the assistance of the Ranch Manager: recruit, select, orient, train, assign, schedule, coach, and counsel (volunteers and?) employees (or contractors).
- Prepare an annual budget for areas of responsibility and ensure financial objectives are met.
- Maintain skills and job knowledge through reading of professional publications, maintaining personal networks, etc.
Skills and Qualifications preferred:
- hands-on skills in erecting and maintaining renewable energy technologies
- Hands-on skills in general construction (plumbing, electric, rough and fine carpentry)
- general organization
- project management
- planning and budgeting
- written and verbal communication
- coaching and supervision of employees
- Performance Management